Skip to main content

Imaginary Play: Driving a Truck

I found the coolest book at the library this week. It was funny Jacob randomly pulled it off of the shelf and I saw the title so read through it. It is a great little book! It is called, "In the Driver's Seat" by Max Haynes. The story takes place with the reader behind the wheel. It tells you where you are going and which way to turn. I pulled out our Wii steering wheels and our imaginations!
I put the book on a chair and we each grabbed a steering wheel. Jake grabbed his stool to sit on a revved up his engine. He made it clear that he was driving a truck even though the book showed us a car. He was very animated while turning and racing through the pages. It could not have been more fun for either of us! 



The picture quality is not good because he was moving so much while driving his truck but you can see how much fun he is having! Check your library for this book and have a great time using your imagination!


Comments

  1. What a good little driver! We just did a project with trucks and cars http://messforless.blogspot.com/2011/08/truck-tracks.html
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book suggestion! Isn't imagination play great? Thank you for linking up on The Sunday SHowcase.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Name Writing Practice

Jacob did a little name writing practice today. He was asked to trace the dotted lines to write letters for his name. This is good practice with spelling as well. I had him say each letter as he wrote the letter.  As you can see he is very choppy and not exactly on the dotted lines. His motor skills are not quite sharp enough yet to be able to hold the crayon and he especially loses control as he works on towards the end. We also did a Missing Letter Name Practice. Both of these ideas came from Cherrios and Lattes ' Play to Write, Write to Read. These are good ways to practice names and writing. He gets very angry if he thinks he made a mistake. See the scribbling. I have to reinforce that it is ok to make a mistake and that everyone makes mistakes but we just keep trying. Practice is the only way to get better. When this happens I cannot help but think of my former students that did the very same thing and proceeded to throw fits and give up. I hope to help Jacob ge...

Play to Write- Week 3

We participating in a Wednesday Play Group called Play to Write over at Cherrios and Lattes . This is week 3- Write/Spell Your Name.  We started this week's practice with some name tracing. Cherrios and Lattes provides the printable for some dotted letters. She suggested doing rainbow writing with this sheet. I showed Jacob but he was more interested in writing all the Jacobs. I started by modeling on the first name. Then I held his hand and we did it together. Finally I let him do the last three on his own with only my verbal prompts.  He took this very seriously and was very proud of himself! I was surprised at how much he liked doing this activity. He has a long way to go but he did pretty well! One thing I had to repeat was not to go around the o and a more than once. He wanted to go around and around. This is an activity that I think he will want to do again! The next activity was Missing Letter Name Practice. We started by singing a little song I sing fo...

Build My Name

I had some more Styrofoam from boxes and wanted to re-purpose them. I decided in building blocks with Jacob's letter of his name. We have lettered blocks but this is just one more way to see his name and one more way to practice his name. I sliced the styrofoam to make the blocks sized from smallest to largest. This will hopefully help him learn the letter orders. I showed him the blocks and we talked about what word we saw spelled out with the blocks. We then read each letter and sang our song: J-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap A-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap C-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap O-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap B-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap We then knocked down the blocks and I let him play with them to see what he might do.  He just played with them for a bit. I then suggested he build a tower. He went ahead and started building a tower. I told him to take caution and look at the letters to make sure the letters are in the correct di...