Skip to main content

Rainbow Fish

The Rainbow Fish is a great book by Marcus Pfister! The story has a  special message and beautiful pictures. After reading the story we decided to make some rainbow fish of our own!
I figured the easiest way for Jake to be able to make these fun little fish would be to cut out a fish shapes from foil and then paint colors over top of the foil fish. Jake LOVES to paint with Bingo Dot paint (Dollar Tree)! So we used those to paint on the color of the fish.
As always, I opened up the book to use as a reference. I do this so that Jake makes connections to the story we have just read and so that he can look to the picture and know that he is making a fish. We free paint at least once a week so I do not feel his creativity is squashed by looking at the pictures but rather these type of activities are just a different way of making art; modeling after another piece. I try to make connections as he is working; what color do you see on the fish in the book? Do you have paint that color? What color are you painting with now? How many fish are you painting? etc...
I think they turned out pretty cute for a toddler version of Rainbow Fish. 

Once they dried we hung the picture on the refrigerator with an F magnet for FISH!





Comments

  1. I love that book...and your Rainbow Fish turned out great! Fun activity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your newest follower! =) Love your ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Name Writing Practice

Jacob did a little name writing practice today. He was asked to trace the dotted lines to write letters for his name. This is good practice with spelling as well. I had him say each letter as he wrote the letter.  As you can see he is very choppy and not exactly on the dotted lines. His motor skills are not quite sharp enough yet to be able to hold the crayon and he especially loses control as he works on towards the end. We also did a Missing Letter Name Practice. Both of these ideas came from Cherrios and Lattes ' Play to Write, Write to Read. These are good ways to practice names and writing. He gets very angry if he thinks he made a mistake. See the scribbling. I have to reinforce that it is ok to make a mistake and that everyone makes mistakes but we just keep trying. Practice is the only way to get better. When this happens I cannot help but think of my former students that did the very same thing and proceeded to throw fits and give up. I hope to help Jacob ge...

Play to Write- Week 3

We participating in a Wednesday Play Group called Play to Write over at Cherrios and Lattes . This is week 3- Write/Spell Your Name.  We started this week's practice with some name tracing. Cherrios and Lattes provides the printable for some dotted letters. She suggested doing rainbow writing with this sheet. I showed Jacob but he was more interested in writing all the Jacobs. I started by modeling on the first name. Then I held his hand and we did it together. Finally I let him do the last three on his own with only my verbal prompts.  He took this very seriously and was very proud of himself! I was surprised at how much he liked doing this activity. He has a long way to go but he did pretty well! One thing I had to repeat was not to go around the o and a more than once. He wanted to go around and around. This is an activity that I think he will want to do again! The next activity was Missing Letter Name Practice. We started by singing a little song I sing fo...

Build My Name

I had some more Styrofoam from boxes and wanted to re-purpose them. I decided in building blocks with Jacob's letter of his name. We have lettered blocks but this is just one more way to see his name and one more way to practice his name. I sliced the styrofoam to make the blocks sized from smallest to largest. This will hopefully help him learn the letter orders. I showed him the blocks and we talked about what word we saw spelled out with the blocks. We then read each letter and sang our song: J-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap A-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap C-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap O-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap B-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap We then knocked down the blocks and I let him play with them to see what he might do.  He just played with them for a bit. I then suggested he build a tower. He went ahead and started building a tower. I told him to take caution and look at the letters to make sure the letters are in the correct di...