Skip to main content

Leaf Cookies

Today we went into the kitchen for a little dramatic play! We made some sugar cookies then used a cookie cutter to cut out leaf (and pumpkin) shapes.
Jake loves the kitchen! Come on, it is where we keep the food that he must constantly be feeding himself! :) 
He really likes to 'help' me cook and clean. I thought this would be a favorite activity for November. From the beginning Jake was right in the mix! Can you hear the "Brrrrr?" Jake loved listening to the motor of the mixer.
Although he still needed to stir the batter after it was mixed!
"Playing" in the kitchen is A LOT of work! It can be a joyous time and create memories of a lifetime but one must truly let some control go to allow this to happen! Case in point, above, I was rolling out the dough and trying to have Jake help me when he took over! He has never used a rolling pin and did not truly know how to use it but he HAD to have it and try! This is when you give-up control and let him experiment. It was really kind of cute! He used the rolling pin as a 'hammer' to hit the dough. Hitting the dough did cause some to break off and then consequently fall to the floor. But, I let him experiment until he was finished (about a whole minute!) then rerolled out the dough. As I did that he stirred the empty bowl! Such a good helper! ;)
He had never used cookie cutters either! I have tried play dough with him, let's just say he is not ready for that! So the cookie cutter experiment was a fun new activity. He really did not quite understand that the cookie cutter was a shape and that we were making leaves from the dough. (Learning experience!)
Notice in the picture above, he is putting the cookie cutter on top of the spot we already cut out. But the real lesson is that you can push down on the cutter to cut out a shape. I was really impressed with is first experience with the cookie cutters. This was NOT my first impression! While we were in the kitchen I was stressed and felt a sense of trying to rush to make 'it' happen and at the same time keep Jacob interested. But going back and reflecting I see that it was fun for both of us! He learned a new skill, learned not mastered! This reflection time is something I learned from teaching but so important in all areas of life! It is especially important while working with your children. If I had not gone back and reflected I might not want to have dramatic play time in the kitchen again. At the time it seems stressful and it IS messy but oh so worth it! 
I would say we got one sheet of cookies cut out before he lost interest and climbed down. Notice the flour all over his shirt? 
I was able to finish baking the rest of the cookies but we did not decorate them! That is probably best saved for another day! Our kitchen is small and the mess was big!

We had a great time and for our first cookie making activity it was a success. I will keep the cookie cutter and the rolling pin out to play for the rest of the month. I might even try play dough again! I can see that practicing the rolling pin, in particular, will be fun for Jake!
Get into the kitchen and have some fun!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Play to Write- Week 3

We participating in a Wednesday Play Group called Play to Write over at Cherrios and Lattes . This is week 3- Write/Spell Your Name.  We started this week's practice with some name tracing. Cherrios and Lattes provides the printable for some dotted letters. She suggested doing rainbow writing with this sheet. I showed Jacob but he was more interested in writing all the Jacobs. I started by modeling on the first name. Then I held his hand and we did it together. Finally I let him do the last three on his own with only my verbal prompts.  He took this very seriously and was very proud of himself! I was surprised at how much he liked doing this activity. He has a long way to go but he did pretty well! One thing I had to repeat was not to go around the o and a more than once. He wanted to go around and around. This is an activity that I think he will want to do again! The next activity was Missing Letter Name Practice. We started by singing a little song I sing for Jak

Name Writing Practice

Jacob did a little name writing practice today. He was asked to trace the dotted lines to write letters for his name. This is good practice with spelling as well. I had him say each letter as he wrote the letter.  As you can see he is very choppy and not exactly on the dotted lines. His motor skills are not quite sharp enough yet to be able to hold the crayon and he especially loses control as he works on towards the end. We also did a Missing Letter Name Practice. Both of these ideas came from Cherrios and Lattes ' Play to Write, Write to Read. These are good ways to practice names and writing. He gets very angry if he thinks he made a mistake. See the scribbling. I have to reinforce that it is ok to make a mistake and that everyone makes mistakes but we just keep trying. Practice is the only way to get better. When this happens I cannot help but think of my former students that did the very same thing and proceeded to throw fits and give up. I hope to help Jacob ge

Building Good Readers

"Your boys are such good readers! I wish mine loved to read like yours do! How did you do that?" Can parents build good readers? How do parents build good readers? This might seem like a daunting question, a task too difficult to tackle. But truly, it does not have to be.  As our children grow and become readers on their own accord they often feel that they do not need or want parents to read to them. It is very common for this to happen, but as their parents, it is our job to push back.  Readers are not born, they are made.  We must find times to read to our children. That might mean reading aloud looks different as they get older. Maybe instead of before bed; you are reading at the dinner table, as they are playing, or during snack time. The point is to share books that will pique their interest and hold their attention. You might have to choose books you might not otherwise choose. The key to reading aloud is to m odel reading for them and to show them th