Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Leaf Place-mat

Today we decided to put together our Leaf Place-mat! We collected leaves on this month's Field Trip: nature walk. I place the leaves in between the pages of a big book to allow them to dry out flat. It is advised to leave them smashed between the pages of a book for at least a week. We left them in a bit longer just because we have not had the time to make the place-mat yet but the leaves were good and dried and nice and flat!
I used a piece of construction paper 9" x 12" hoping that it would fit in Jake's highchair tray. Next, I spread glue all over the paper. I thought this would be the best way to cover the paper but still have him participate. 
I spread the leaves out on the table to allow him to pick them up. I picked one up and placed it on the paper then pushed it down dramatically to make it look fun! I added Jacob's favorite phrase, "bang, bang," when I pushed it down. I did this hoping he would find it funny and want to participate. He jumped right in picking up leaves and bang, banging them down on the paper. (Don't you love the drool spot on his shirt? Poor guy, teething again!)
 You can see he is enjoying himself! We pretty much covered the paper, just putting the leaves in various places. We talked about the leaves and the colors as we were putting them on the paper. Then I let the extra glue around the paper dry.
The leaves are really pretty!
Finally, I covered the paper in contact paper to 'laminate' it. I purchased the clear contact paper from The Dollar Store for $1! I covered the front and back so that it could be washed after a meal. 
Here is the final product, a little dark so that you can see without a reflection. Durable and attractive!
Plus homemade!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Name Writing Practice

Jacob did a little name writing practice today. He was asked to trace the dotted lines to write letters for his name. This is good practice with spelling as well. I had him say each letter as he wrote the letter.  As you can see he is very choppy and not exactly on the dotted lines. His motor skills are not quite sharp enough yet to be able to hold the crayon and he especially loses control as he works on towards the end. We also did a Missing Letter Name Practice. Both of these ideas came from Cherrios and Lattes ' Play to Write, Write to Read. These are good ways to practice names and writing. He gets very angry if he thinks he made a mistake. See the scribbling. I have to reinforce that it is ok to make a mistake and that everyone makes mistakes but we just keep trying. Practice is the only way to get better. When this happens I cannot help but think of my former students that did the very same thing and proceeded to throw fits and give up. I hope to help Jacob ge...

Play to Write- Week 3

We participating in a Wednesday Play Group called Play to Write over at Cherrios and Lattes . This is week 3- Write/Spell Your Name.  We started this week's practice with some name tracing. Cherrios and Lattes provides the printable for some dotted letters. She suggested doing rainbow writing with this sheet. I showed Jacob but he was more interested in writing all the Jacobs. I started by modeling on the first name. Then I held his hand and we did it together. Finally I let him do the last three on his own with only my verbal prompts.  He took this very seriously and was very proud of himself! I was surprised at how much he liked doing this activity. He has a long way to go but he did pretty well! One thing I had to repeat was not to go around the o and a more than once. He wanted to go around and around. This is an activity that I think he will want to do again! The next activity was Missing Letter Name Practice. We started by singing a little song I sing fo...

Build My Name

I had some more Styrofoam from boxes and wanted to re-purpose them. I decided in building blocks with Jacob's letter of his name. We have lettered blocks but this is just one more way to see his name and one more way to practice his name. I sliced the styrofoam to make the blocks sized from smallest to largest. This will hopefully help him learn the letter orders. I showed him the blocks and we talked about what word we saw spelled out with the blocks. We then read each letter and sang our song: J-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap A-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap C-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap O-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap B-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap We then knocked down the blocks and I let him play with them to see what he might do.  He just played with them for a bit. I then suggested he build a tower. He went ahead and started building a tower. I told him to take caution and look at the letters to make sure the letters are in the correct di...