Skip to main content

Fish Sensory Box

This month with a beach theme I wanted to do something different with our sensory box. I know, the common thought would be to use sand in the box but we have a sand table outside and play in it daily. Plus I thought it might make too much of a mess inside!
I placed; water, plastic fish, foam fish, sponges cut into fish shapes, a net, a shovel and a cut in the box. Jake LOVES the water so I knew we did not need too much in the box to keep him happy.
He dug right in! I showed him how to use the net to catch fish, how to squeeze the plastic fish and fill it with water to squirt water. I then let him explore some more and play on his own. 
Next, while Jake continued to play I read, Spot Goes to the Beach. This is a fun easy book to read through to point out elements at the beach. This all goes into our preparation for our trip. I want to make sure that Jake is  aware of what we will see and do because his only trips have been to my mother's house in Ohio. 
When I started reading this page he quickly pointed at the net and held up his net. He even said net which is huge for him because he is not a big talker and most new words must be prompted out of him!!
Later he started putting the foam fish on the side of the box. They would stick to the side and he liked that. I thought it was a good opportunity to practice counting! There are only 4 foam fish so it is a good way to practice counting without getting in over our head. 
We  focused on vocabulary a lot too:
*Fish
*Net
*Water
*Shovel
*Numbers 1-4

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Name Writing Practice

Jacob did a little name writing practice today. He was asked to trace the dotted lines to write letters for his name. This is good practice with spelling as well. I had him say each letter as he wrote the letter.  As you can see he is very choppy and not exactly on the dotted lines. His motor skills are not quite sharp enough yet to be able to hold the crayon and he especially loses control as he works on towards the end. We also did a Missing Letter Name Practice. Both of these ideas came from Cherrios and Lattes ' Play to Write, Write to Read. These are good ways to practice names and writing. He gets very angry if he thinks he made a mistake. See the scribbling. I have to reinforce that it is ok to make a mistake and that everyone makes mistakes but we just keep trying. Practice is the only way to get better. When this happens I cannot help but think of my former students that did the very same thing and proceeded to throw fits and give up. I hope to help Jacob ge...

Play to Write- Week 3

We participating in a Wednesday Play Group called Play to Write over at Cherrios and Lattes . This is week 3- Write/Spell Your Name.  We started this week's practice with some name tracing. Cherrios and Lattes provides the printable for some dotted letters. She suggested doing rainbow writing with this sheet. I showed Jacob but he was more interested in writing all the Jacobs. I started by modeling on the first name. Then I held his hand and we did it together. Finally I let him do the last three on his own with only my verbal prompts.  He took this very seriously and was very proud of himself! I was surprised at how much he liked doing this activity. He has a long way to go but he did pretty well! One thing I had to repeat was not to go around the o and a more than once. He wanted to go around and around. This is an activity that I think he will want to do again! The next activity was Missing Letter Name Practice. We started by singing a little song I sing fo...

Build My Name

I had some more Styrofoam from boxes and wanted to re-purpose them. I decided in building blocks with Jacob's letter of his name. We have lettered blocks but this is just one more way to see his name and one more way to practice his name. I sliced the styrofoam to make the blocks sized from smallest to largest. This will hopefully help him learn the letter orders. I showed him the blocks and we talked about what word we saw spelled out with the blocks. We then read each letter and sang our song: J-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap A-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap C-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap O-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap B-clap, clap, clap, clap, clap We then knocked down the blocks and I let him play with them to see what he might do.  He just played with them for a bit. I then suggested he build a tower. He went ahead and started building a tower. I told him to take caution and look at the letters to make sure the letters are in the correct di...